|Catches fire from lava||
Activator rails are craftable and can be broken with bare hands or any tool, dropping themselves as items.
An activator rail can be broken with any tool, dropping itself as an item, but a pickaxe is fastest. To break an activator rail, mine it:
|Breaking time[FN 1]|
- Times are for unenchanted tools as wielded by players with no status effects, measured in seconds. For more information, see Breaking § Speed.
|Iron Ingot +
An activator rail can be used as a rail and as a redstone component.
To place an activator rail, use an activator rail item while pointing at a surface facing the space the activator rail should occupy. An activator rail can be placed on:
- the top of any full solid opaque block (stone, dirt, blocks of gold, etc.), including full-block mechanism components (command blocks, dispensers, droppers, note blocks, and redstone lamps)
- the top of a hopper, upside-down slab, or upside-down stairs.
- the top of any transparent block (glass, etc.)
An activator rail cannot be attached to the side or bottom of any block, but attempting to make such an attachment may cause the activator rail to attach to the top of a block under the destination space. For example, if a fence is on the ground, attempting to attach an activator rail to the side of the fence causes the activator rail to be attached to the top of the ground next to the fence instead.
When placed, an activator rail configures itself to line up with any adjacent rails (including detector rails, powered rails, and other activator rails), as well as adjacent rails one block up. The behaviors in Java and Bedrock editions diverge in the following ways.
In Java Edition:
- If there are two adjacent rails on non-opposite sides, or three or more adjacent rails, or no adjacent rails at all, an activator rail aligns itself in the direction the player is facing. If an existing activator rail is connected to only one other rail or none at all, and a new rail is placed perpendicular to the activator rail, then the activator rail aligns itself in the east-west direction (if it isn't already facing that way). If a rail it would align with is one block up, an activator rail slants upward toward it (with multiple options to slant upward to, an activator rail "prefers" west or south). Other configurations can be created by placing and removing various rails.Template:Testingame
- If there are two adjacent rails on non-opposite sides, or three or more adjacent rails, an activator rail aligns itself in the east-west direction. If there are no adjacent rails, an activator rail aligns itself in the north-south direction (but if a rail is later placed to the east or west, the activator rail re-orients itself in the east-west direction even if it is already connected to another rail to the north or south). If a rail it would align with is one block up, an activator rail slants upward toward it (with multiple options to slant upward to, an activator rail "prefers", in order: west, east, south, and north). Other configurations can be created by placing and removing various rails.
It cannot be placed suspended in midair, even with commands, which is not unintentional.
Activator rails (and other rails) can be used as "roads" for minecarts. A minecart that enters an activator rail's space from either end of the activator rail continues to move, losing only a little velocity (which can then be increased again with powered rails). A minecart that enters an activator rail's space from the side turns east or south (depending on the activator rail's orientation), or in the downward direction for a slanted activator rail.
Activator rails can be used to affect minecarts that travel over them.
- An activator rail is a redstone mechanism and can be activated by:
- an adjacent active power component (for example, a redstone torch, a block of redstone, a daylight sensor, etc.)
- an adjacent powered block (strongly-powered or weakly-powered)
- a powered redstone comparator or redstone repeater facing the activator rail
- powered redstone dust configured to point at the activator rail, or configured as a plus sign. An activator rail is not activated by adjacent powered redstone dust that is configured to point in another direction.
- An activated activator rail also activates any adjacent activator rails it is connected to, up to eight away from the original activation source. Thus a single activation source can activate up to 17 rails (one original in the middle and eight on either side). An activated activator rail does not activate adjacent rails not connected to it.
An activator rail affects minecarts above it with varying effects that occur as soon as any part of the minecart is on the activator rail.
An active activator rail:
- ejects mobs (including players) from minecarts as if a player had used the sneak control to exit the minecart (by default, one block to the right of the direction the minecart is moving and up to two blocks up, unless blocked)
- repeatedly activates command block minecarts — a command block minecart executes its command every four game ticks until the command block minecart is no longer on the activator rail
- disables hopper minecarts — a disabled hopper minecart cannot pick up items it travels through until it is enabled by an inactive activator rail (or until it is broken and re-placed)
- primes TNT minecarts — primed TNT minecarts explode after four seconds with an explosive power proportional to their speed over the activator rail.
An inactive activator rail enables hopper minecarts — an enabled hopper minecart picks up items it travels through until it is disabled by an active activator rail.
|Name||Namespaced ID||Block tags (JE)||Item tags (JE)||Form||Translation key|
|Activator Rail||Block & Item|
|Name||Namespaced ID||Numeric ID||Form||Translation key|
|Activator Rail||Block & Item|
|1.5||13w02a||32px 32px 32px 32px 32px 32px|
32px 32px 32px 32px 32px 32px
32px Added activator rails.
|13w02b||The crafting recipe of activator rails has now been changed to include sticks and redstone torch. Previously, it required only 6 iron ingots vertically at the end.|
|13w04a||Activated activator rails now disable minecarts with hoppers.|
|1.7.2||13w39a||Activated activator rails now activate minecarts with command blocks.|
|1.8||14w05a||Activated activator rails now eject players and mobs from minecarts.|
|14w10a||32px Activator rails with numerical metadata variants 6, 7, 14 and 15, which are inaccessible through normal gameplay or even commands and as such require the use of external editors to exist, now have a missing model. Their appearances prior to this point were unknown.|
|14w25a||Activator rails are now defined via block states rather than by numerical metadata. Prior to this version, the numerical metadata variants of the activator rail were as follows:
|14w26a||Activator rails with metadata values 6, 7, 14 and 15 have now been completely removed from the game.|
|1.9||15w39a||The dismounting location of activator rails is now predictable. Entities now dismount from vehicles (boats, minecarts, horses) by the right side relative to the motion of the vehicle. If the right side is unavailable, the other potential locations are tested in this order: Right, Left, Back Right, Back Left, Front Right, Front Left, Back, Front.|
|15w44a||Activator rails can now be found in chest minecarts in mineshafts.|
|1.11||16w32b||All rail types', including activator rails, hitbox heights have now been decreased from a full block to a half block.|
|1.13||17w47a||Prior to The Flattening, this block's numeral ID was 157.|
|1.14||18w43a||32px 32px 32px 32px 32px 32px|
32px 32px 32px 32px 32px 32px
32px The textures of activator rails have now been changed.
|19w12b||Activator rails can now be placed on glass, ice, glowstone and sea lantern.|
|Upcoming Java Edition|
|1.17||20w45a||All rail types can now be waterlogged.|
|Pocket Edition Alpha|
|v0.13.0||build 1||32px 32px 32px Added activator rails.|
|v0.14.0||build 1||Activator rails can now be found inside minecarts with chests in mineshafts.|
|1.10.0||beta 220.127.116.11||32px 32px 32px The textures of activator rails have now been changed.|
|Legacy Console Edition|
|TU19||CU7||1.10||Patch 1||1.0.1||32px 32px 32px Added activator rails.|
|TU31||CU19||1.22||Patch 3||Activated activator rails now eject players and mobs from minecarts.|
|1.90||32px 32px 32px The textures of activator rails have now been changed.|
|New Nintendo 3DS Edition|
|0.1.0||32px 32px 32px Added activator rails.|